North Hampton Listings
From its founding days as Winnacunnet Plantation and its time as the North Parish of Hampton Town, North Hampton has always been a beautiful seaside town – one of the few to border the limited New Hampshire coastline. Though small, it is home to many small businesses, and is host to a caring and driven community.
First settled in 1639, this town was a part of Hampton known as North Hill Parish. Residents began petitioning for a separate parish as early as 1719. North Hill Parish was set off from Hampton in 1738, with the responsibility of supporting a clergyman and schoolmaster of their own.
Full township privileges were not granted until 1742, following the establishment of the New Hampshire-Massachusetts border. North Hampton was the birthplace of General Henry Dearborn, commander-in-chief of the American forces in the War of 1812, for whom Fort Dearborn (now Chicago) and Dearborn, Michigan, were named.